Skip to main content

Thursday Themes: Marriage

In honor of just having been recently married last Friday (!!! :D), here are five books that have to do with love and marriage:


1) Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen



I mean, you all had to know this would be on here. This book is ALL about marriage! I love Pride & Prejudice because it's about flawed people (both Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth) who realize their mistakes and work to become better people for each other and slowly build up their love and trust. Plus Mrs. Bennett's (and everyone's, really) obsession with marrying off all her daughters is fun and ridiculous to behold.



2) Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

This book has a ton of things going on in it, from the heavy themes of justice and mercy, to the plight of the lower classes, but mixed in among everything is a very sweet love story. The musical makes the love between Cosette and Marius seem very fast, but if you read the book, it happens over the course of a few months, and after all the craziness and death they find happiness in their marriage together. The parts that describe them falling in love are heart-wrenchingly beautiful, all the more so because it is surrounded by such tragedy. 



3) The Amelia Peabody Series - Elizabeth Peters

This is one of my favorite series, about a strong-willed Victorian-era woman named Amelia Peabody. In the first book she goes to Egypt for an adventure and meets Radcliffe Emerson, a handsome but gruff archaeologist who is excavating in Amarna. They solve a mystery, find some intriguing archaeological artifacts, and along the way they fall in love and get married. Their relationship throughout all the books is hilarious and full of love. 



4) The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion

This is not your normal love story. Don Tillman is a very pedantic scientist with some form of Asperger's and has decided that the best way to find a wife will be in the same manner as conducting a scientific experiment. So he makes up a (very long) questionnaire of desirable qualities for a wide and begins interviews (to no success). But then in walks Rosie, who is everything he didn't want, and yet it all fits so right. This book, told from inside the head of the main character, had me laughing out loud, and the love story is so sweet.



5) The Princess Bride - William Goldman



Well, it does advertise itself as the "greatest love story ever told". And it involves a bride (though techincally, she never does get married...). And, this story gives us the classic speech about "mawwiage". But even if you've seen the movie a thousand times, READ THE BOOK. It's 100x more hilarious than the movie and goes into a lot of background for the characters. And we all love the love between Wesley and Buttercup.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Themes: Five Books to Escape to a New World

Hello everyone! *waves* Remember how I said I was "back" and then didn't post anything for tover a year? Well now with this global pandemic I finally am returning to this blog. Lots of people are reading more than ever now, and I've had many people ask me to recommend various books. So I thought I'd do some posts more along those themes, and perhaps the occasional book review sprinkled in between. Today, the theme is inspired by traveling and exploring. I, like many of you, am tired of being stuck inside and unable to travel. One of the thing I love most about books is it's a way to escape and go on a new adventure. And I especially love books about finding a new world, ones that capture that awe and fascination and magical sense of a new place. It calls to that part deep within me that longs to see stunning vistas and meet new people and get to know a culture different from my own. Here are five books that capture that feeling, and will leave you aching t...

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi...

Thursday Themes: Books From My Childhood With Strong Female Protagonists

Looking over some of my favorite books that I read over and over from when I was growing up, I realized they all had one thing in common: Strong, independent, kick-ass female protagonists. I know reading these books helped shaped me into who I am today, as I wanted to emulate the characteristics found in these girls. I highly recommend all of these books to everyone, but especially if you have any young girls that you know. 1) Catherine, Called Birdy - Karen Cushman If I ever HAD to pick a favorite book (which, let's be real, is really impossible), then I just might say it's this one. I read this book so much that I had to go buy another copy because the first fell apart. The story is about Catherine, nickname Birdy, who is 14 years old, living in England in 1290 AD. Her father is determined to marry her off, but through hilarious shennanigens, she sends each would-be suitor packing. But then the nastiest--and richest--suitor comes along, and it will take everythi...