Skip to main content

Thursday Themes: Black Lives Matter

This post is especially for white people. We need to educate ourselves on what it means to be black in the US. Beyond listening to my POC (that's People of Color) friends when they speak about the injustices and prejudices they face, and following more POC on social media to gain a broader perspective, I also read as much as I can. These are six books I think are very helpful to understanding the history and reality of black people in the United States.

Fiction

1) The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas



Starr witnesses her unarmed friend get shot by a police officer and decides to speak out. I think this book should be required reading in all schools.


2) Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie



Ifemelu moves to the US from Nigeria and learns for the first time what it means to be "black".


3) The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead



In this book, the Underground Railroad is a literal thing that helps Cora escape from slavery in Georgia. But with a slave catcher chasing her, she's forced to flee again and again in search for freedom.


Non-Fiction

4) Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates



In the form of letters to his son, Coates discusses questions about what it's like to live in a black body, and the history of race in the US. I would highly highly recommend this book.


5) Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge



From Goodreads: "Exploring issues from eradicated black history to the political purpose of white dominance, whitewashed feminism to the inextricable link between class and race, Reni Eddo-Lodge offers a timely and essential new framework for how to see, acknowledge and counter racism."

This book is on hold for me at the library, so I haven't read it yet, but I've seen it recommended as a book to help understand the underlying structural racism we see in society today. This book is actually by a British author and talks about racism happening in Britain, but the underlying concepts are the same for the US.


6) The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander




This book is about how "the U.S. criminal justice system functions as a contemporary system of racial control". Again, I haven't read this one yet, but I've heard really good things about it from a few friends and it's on hold at the library for me.



What are other books you would add to this list? Let me know in the comments.









Comments

  1. Anonymous30/5/20 22:58

    "White Fragility" Robin DiAngelo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Themes: Five Books to Escape to a New World

Hello everyone! *waves* Remember how I said I was "back" and then didn't post anything for tover a year? Well now with this global pandemic I finally am returning to this blog. Lots of people are reading more than ever now, and I've had many people ask me to recommend various books. So I thought I'd do some posts more along those themes, and perhaps the occasional book review sprinkled in between. Today, the theme is inspired by traveling and exploring. I, like many of you, am tired of being stuck inside and unable to travel. One of the thing I love most about books is it's a way to escape and go on a new adventure. And I especially love books about finding a new world, ones that capture that awe and fascination and magical sense of a new place. It calls to that part deep within me that longs to see stunning vistas and meet new people and get to know a culture different from my own. Here are five books that capture that feeling, and will leave you aching t...

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi...

Thursday Themes: Books From My Childhood With Strong Female Protagonists

Looking over some of my favorite books that I read over and over from when I was growing up, I realized they all had one thing in common: Strong, independent, kick-ass female protagonists. I know reading these books helped shaped me into who I am today, as I wanted to emulate the characteristics found in these girls. I highly recommend all of these books to everyone, but especially if you have any young girls that you know. 1) Catherine, Called Birdy - Karen Cushman If I ever HAD to pick a favorite book (which, let's be real, is really impossible), then I just might say it's this one. I read this book so much that I had to go buy another copy because the first fell apart. The story is about Catherine, nickname Birdy, who is 14 years old, living in England in 1290 AD. Her father is determined to marry her off, but through hilarious shennanigens, she sends each would-be suitor packing. But then the nastiest--and richest--suitor comes along, and it will take everythi...