Skip to main content

Thursday Themes: So you liked The Hunger Games

So you really liked The Hunger Games and want some more of that sweet sweet dystoptian YA feeling. I'm guessing you've already read Divergent by Veronica Roth and Maze Runner by James Dashner (if not, were you even part of the YA dystopian craze??).

Here are some other series I think you'll enjoy:


Red Rising by Pierce Brown



Basically Hunger Games in Space with super evolved humans. The main character is of the lowest caste (a Red) and fakes his way to the very top of society in order to take them down.
***Content Warning*** This book has a lot of violence (about the same as HG), and there is high use of profanity.


Partials by Dan Wells



One of the most underrated series in my humble opinion. 99% of the world's population has been wiped out by a weaponized virus during the war with the Partials—engineered organic super-humans—and no new babies are being born. Sixteen year old Kira is trying to find a solution. When a supply run ends with them capturing a Partial soldier, Kira realizes there are things she never knew about the origin of the war that are vital to both humans and Partials surviving. This trilogy is action packed and filled with moral questions that will make you think, and amazing characters.


Uglies by Scott Westerfield



Everyone is considered an "ugly" until they turn 16 and have extreme cosmetic surgery to make them a "pretty" and then they live a life of fun and opulence. Tally is excited for her turn to become "pretty", but when her friend runs away, she discovers there's another side to the paradise she imagines.


Lifelike by Jay Kristoff



In a post-apocalyptic world, Eve scavenges junkyards to build warrior bots to just try and win a little money to help her sick grandfather. One day she discovers an android named Ezekiel, and then the crap really hits the fan and Eve is on the run to try and uncover dark secrets that lurk in her past. This book is full-on action from page one and barely slows down to catch a breath. I read this book in one day and I really liked it except for *SPOILER ALERT* the lovable robot dog dies (heroically, but still) and I'm still mad about it.


The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken



Basically, there's a disease which leave kids with mutant superpowers. These kids are then locked away at a special camp. Ruby is one of the "dangerous" ones and escapes from the camp. She joins a group headed for a safe haven for people like her, but things aren't what they seem. This is the only book on this list I haven't personally read (though it sits somewhere on my eternal To-Be-Read list), but people who have a similar taste to me in books have liked it and recommended it. Plus I've read this author's other series and really liked it.


Legend by Marie Lu



June is an elite warrior prodigy. Day was born in the slums. Their lives are thrown together when June's brother is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. But as they work together, they uncover sinister secrets by the government. Lots of action and a great romance!


Do any of these sound good to you? What are some other good YA dystopian series? Let me know in the comments!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Themes: Five Books to Escape to a New World

Hello everyone! *waves* Remember how I said I was "back" and then didn't post anything for tover a year? Well now with this global pandemic I finally am returning to this blog. Lots of people are reading more than ever now, and I've had many people ask me to recommend various books. So I thought I'd do some posts more along those themes, and perhaps the occasional book review sprinkled in between. Today, the theme is inspired by traveling and exploring. I, like many of you, am tired of being stuck inside and unable to travel. One of the thing I love most about books is it's a way to escape and go on a new adventure. And I especially love books about finding a new world, ones that capture that awe and fascination and magical sense of a new place. It calls to that part deep within me that longs to see stunning vistas and meet new people and get to know a culture different from my own. Here are five books that capture that feeling, and will leave you aching t...

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi...

Thursday Themes: Books From My Childhood With Strong Female Protagonists

Looking over some of my favorite books that I read over and over from when I was growing up, I realized they all had one thing in common: Strong, independent, kick-ass female protagonists. I know reading these books helped shaped me into who I am today, as I wanted to emulate the characteristics found in these girls. I highly recommend all of these books to everyone, but especially if you have any young girls that you know. 1) Catherine, Called Birdy - Karen Cushman If I ever HAD to pick a favorite book (which, let's be real, is really impossible), then I just might say it's this one. I read this book so much that I had to go buy another copy because the first fell apart. The story is about Catherine, nickname Birdy, who is 14 years old, living in England in 1290 AD. Her father is determined to marry her off, but through hilarious shennanigens, she sends each would-be suitor packing. But then the nastiest--and richest--suitor comes along, and it will take everythi...