Skip to main content

Sadie

Sadie by Courtney Summers



Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Sadie hasn't had an easy life. Growing up on her own, she's been raising her sister Mattie in an isolated small town, trying her best to provide a normal life and keep their heads above water.

But when Mattie is found dead, Sadie's entire world crumbles. After a somewhat botched police investigation, Sadie is determined to bring her sister's killer to justice and hits the road following a few meager clues to find him.

When West McCray—a radio personality working on a segment about small, forgotten towns in America—overhears Sadie's story at a local gas station, he becomes obsessed with finding the missing girl. He starts his own podcast as he tracks Sadie's journey, trying to figure out what happened, hoping to find her before it's too late.



Review
This book was brutal and gut-wrenching and I couldn't put it down.

The story is told with two narratives. The first is from West's point of view, as he's broadcasting on his radio serial, so it reads like a script. His part takes places after the events from Sadie's point of view, so it serves to provide some foreshadowing and also fills in some gaps about what Sadie didn't know. The other perspective is, of course, from Sadie. It's told from her first-person perspective, and we see the reasons behind her movements and the decisions that lead her down the path she takes.

The setting is Colorado, the small towns that are barely hanging on, the lives of the people just trying to survive. A subtle commentary in the background of the story is the people of these places, who are overlooked, forgotten, who just try to give their lives the best they can, even though they make mistakes.

This book deals with some heavy and dark stuff, including child abuse. Nothing is graphic, but there are very clear hints and suggestions about what happened. This is revealed subtly over the course of the book.

The writing is fast-paced and captive. It's not a very long book. I read it in almost one sitting, staying up late because I knew I needed to finish. It is raw and emotional and has stayed with me long after finishing it. I would highly recommend.


Rating
I give this book 4.5 stars.


Details
Genre: YA, Thriller.
Language: Some uses of heavy language.
Sex: References to some dark things but nothing graphic is shown.
Violence: Some graphic violence, other types of violence are alluded to and talked about but never actually seen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Themes: Five Books to Escape to a New World

Hello everyone! *waves* Remember how I said I was "back" and then didn't post anything for tover a year? Well now with this global pandemic I finally am returning to this blog. Lots of people are reading more than ever now, and I've had many people ask me to recommend various books. So I thought I'd do some posts more along those themes, and perhaps the occasional book review sprinkled in between. Today, the theme is inspired by traveling and exploring. I, like many of you, am tired of being stuck inside and unable to travel. One of the thing I love most about books is it's a way to escape and go on a new adventure. And I especially love books about finding a new world, ones that capture that awe and fascination and magical sense of a new place. It calls to that part deep within me that longs to see stunning vistas and meet new people and get to know a culture different from my own. Here are five books that capture that feeling, and will leave you aching t...

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi...

Thursday Themes: Books From My Childhood With Strong Female Protagonists

Looking over some of my favorite books that I read over and over from when I was growing up, I realized they all had one thing in common: Strong, independent, kick-ass female protagonists. I know reading these books helped shaped me into who I am today, as I wanted to emulate the characteristics found in these girls. I highly recommend all of these books to everyone, but especially if you have any young girls that you know. 1) Catherine, Called Birdy - Karen Cushman If I ever HAD to pick a favorite book (which, let's be real, is really impossible), then I just might say it's this one. I read this book so much that I had to go buy another copy because the first fell apart. The story is about Catherine, nickname Birdy, who is 14 years old, living in England in 1290 AD. Her father is determined to marry her off, but through hilarious shennanigens, she sends each would-be suitor packing. But then the nastiest--and richest--suitor comes along, and it will take everythi...