Skip to main content

The Rogue Queen

The Rogue Queen by Emily R. King


*I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

WARNING: Spoilers for The Hundredth Queen and The Fire Queen!


Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Despite the odds, Kalinda has survived it all: Marriage to a tyrant. Tournaments to the death. The forbidden power to rule fire. The icy touch of a demon. . . .
Kalinda soon realizes that the demon has tainted her with a cold poison, rendering her fire uncontrollable. But the lack of control may be just what she needs to send the demon back to the darkest depths of the Void.
To take back the empire, Kalinda will ally with those she distrusts—and risk losing those most loyal to her—to defeat the demon and bring peace to a divided nation.



Review
This book picks up right where the second book ends. For me, it was a little slow in the beginning and made it hard for me to get back into the world, but once that action got going I was drawn in.

These books have romance, but they are not about the romance. They are about women. Women who fight, women who make the best with what they have. And that really comes across in this book. First of all, what appears to be a typical love triangle is turned on its head. I really liked how King works with Kalinda and Devin. I love that Devin lets Kalinda be herself and do what she needs to do, rather than being stupid and possessive. Their relationship is refreshing to read and needed in a genre where often controlling and somewhat abusive men are idealized.

Plot-wise, it was okay. People move around and things happen to further the plot of the series and set everything up for the final book. But in terms of character arc, this book really shone. There were a couple very poignant scenes for me. The first is when Kalinda confronts the reality of the place she was raised, and what it really means for girls and women like her. That scene I feel like is the message of the book, if not the entire series. Kalinda's decisions are to better the world for other women like her. The second scene that punched me in the feels is where Kalinda faces the hate that she holds in her heart against Tarek, the cruel sultan who forced her to marry and fight. In the scene, she realizes the freedom and peace that comes with forgiveness. That scene made me cry, literally cry sobbing tears, and I feel it was the crux of the entire plot and Kalinda's character arc.

Overall, a very satisfying mid-series book. If you haven't read this series I would highly recommend it!


Rating
I give this book 3.5 stars.


Details
Genre: Fantasy, YA.
Language: None.
Sex: Hinted at, never explicitly or graphically described.
Violence: Some battle violence, never graphic.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Themes: Five Books to Escape to a New World

Hello everyone! *waves* Remember how I said I was "back" and then didn't post anything for tover a year? Well now with this global pandemic I finally am returning to this blog. Lots of people are reading more than ever now, and I've had many people ask me to recommend various books. So I thought I'd do some posts more along those themes, and perhaps the occasional book review sprinkled in between. Today, the theme is inspired by traveling and exploring. I, like many of you, am tired of being stuck inside and unable to travel. One of the thing I love most about books is it's a way to escape and go on a new adventure. And I especially love books about finding a new world, ones that capture that awe and fascination and magical sense of a new place. It calls to that part deep within me that longs to see stunning vistas and meet new people and get to know a culture different from my own. Here are five books that capture that feeling, and will leave you aching t...

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi...

Thursday Themes: Books From My Childhood With Strong Female Protagonists

Looking over some of my favorite books that I read over and over from when I was growing up, I realized they all had one thing in common: Strong, independent, kick-ass female protagonists. I know reading these books helped shaped me into who I am today, as I wanted to emulate the characteristics found in these girls. I highly recommend all of these books to everyone, but especially if you have any young girls that you know. 1) Catherine, Called Birdy - Karen Cushman If I ever HAD to pick a favorite book (which, let's be real, is really impossible), then I just might say it's this one. I read this book so much that I had to go buy another copy because the first fell apart. The story is about Catherine, nickname Birdy, who is 14 years old, living in England in 1290 AD. Her father is determined to marry her off, but through hilarious shennanigens, she sends each would-be suitor packing. But then the nastiest--and richest--suitor comes along, and it will take everythi...