Skip to main content

Retribution Rails

Retribution Rails by Erin Bowman


Synopsis (from Goodreads)
When Reece Murphy is forcibly dragged into the Rose Riders gang because of a mysterious gold coin in his possession, he vows to find the man who gave him the piece and turn him over to the gang in exchange for freedom. Never does he expect a lead to come from an aspiring female journalist. But when Reece's path crosses with Charlotte Vaughn after a botched train robbery and she mentions a promising rumor about a gunslinger from Prescott, it becomes apparent that she will be his ticket to freedom—or a noose. As the two manipulate each other for their own ends, past secrets are unearthed, reviving a decade-old quest for revenge that may be impossible to settle.


Review
I LOVED this book. I got a paperback ARC from a friend (even though it came out in November) and so I quickly checked out Vengeance Road from the library (which I loved). Then I still wanted some good ole Wild West fun, so I dove right into this book.

The story is set in Arizona in 1887, ten years after the events of Vengeance Road unfolded. In that time, much has changed, with the railroad arriving in the territory. The Rose Riders are back, this time led with a need for revenge. There's shootouts and train robberies and stage coach chases and just everything that makes the Wild West exciting. There are some beautiful descriptions of the landscape. Even though I don't like the desert, I can appreciate the beauty of it for this setting.

The two new characters, Reece and Charlotte, are wonderful. Reece is a haunted boy, someone forced to do some horrible things and who has faced abuse his whole life. Yet, despite it all, he's a good person at heart. Watching as he comes to know himself, and own himself, was one of the best parts of the book. Charlotte is smart and ambitious. Her journey lies in realizing the world isn't black and white and coming to understand others' point of view. She was a little annoying towards the beginning, but as she grows she becomes the determined heroine.

The plot is a little more twisty than the previous novel, with more than one plot thread to follow (one for each character). Charlotte is set on saving her family's business and land from a greedy uncle after the death of her father. Reece is trying to escape the Rose Riders. They tangle with Kate and Jesse from Vengeance Road, who are trying to live in peace. The story switches between Reece and Charlotte's points of view. The writing is fast-paced and pulls you right into the story. I love how the author uses a Western style of speech for the entire narrative.

All in all, I thought it was a fun, wild adventure and a fabulous companion read to Vengeance Road. I would highly recommend it!


Rating
4.5 stars


Details
Genre: Historical Fiction, YA.
Language: Mild.
Sex: None (Some references made to wedding nights, nothing explicit or graphic).
Violence: Lots of shooting violence, but its not graphically described.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Themes: Five Books to Escape to a New World

Hello everyone! *waves* Remember how I said I was "back" and then didn't post anything for tover a year? Well now with this global pandemic I finally am returning to this blog. Lots of people are reading more than ever now, and I've had many people ask me to recommend various books. So I thought I'd do some posts more along those themes, and perhaps the occasional book review sprinkled in between. Today, the theme is inspired by traveling and exploring. I, like many of you, am tired of being stuck inside and unable to travel. One of the thing I love most about books is it's a way to escape and go on a new adventure. And I especially love books about finding a new world, ones that capture that awe and fascination and magical sense of a new place. It calls to that part deep within me that longs to see stunning vistas and meet new people and get to know a culture different from my own. Here are five books that capture that feeling, and will leave you aching t...

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi...

Thursday Themes: Books From My Childhood With Strong Female Protagonists

Looking over some of my favorite books that I read over and over from when I was growing up, I realized they all had one thing in common: Strong, independent, kick-ass female protagonists. I know reading these books helped shaped me into who I am today, as I wanted to emulate the characteristics found in these girls. I highly recommend all of these books to everyone, but especially if you have any young girls that you know. 1) Catherine, Called Birdy - Karen Cushman If I ever HAD to pick a favorite book (which, let's be real, is really impossible), then I just might say it's this one. I read this book so much that I had to go buy another copy because the first fell apart. The story is about Catherine, nickname Birdy, who is 14 years old, living in England in 1290 AD. Her father is determined to marry her off, but through hilarious shennanigens, she sends each would-be suitor packing. But then the nastiest--and richest--suitor comes along, and it will take everythi...