Skip to main content

Monthly Roundup: September 2017



September was a busy month for me! We took a trip at the beginning of the month to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary (yay!) and then we had TWO weddings to attend! A month full of love!

All these trips meant I was able to get a fair amount of reading in though! In total I read nine books!
  1. Burning Glass - Kathryn Purdie (3 stars)
  2. Little Fires Everywhere - Celeste Ng (4.5 stars)
  3. Tower of Dawn - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars)
  4. Moxie - Jenniefer Mathieu (4.5 stars)
  5. Godsgrave - Jay Kristoff (4 stars)
  6. 4:50 from Paddington - Agatha Christie (4 stars)
  7. Hanna Who Fell From The Sky - Christopher Meades (3.5 stars)
  8. Wicked Like A Wildfire - Lana Popovic (4 stars)
  9. Code Name Verity - Elizabeth Wein (4.5 stars)
A few books really stood out this month. Moxie was incredible and awesome! I finally ready Wicked Like a Wilkdfire, which I received in the August FairyLoot box, and I really really liked it! I got an ARC of Little Fires Everywhere and it was just as beautiful as Celeste Ng's previous novel. And I also FINALLY read Code Name Verity and I was not ready for all the emotions!!!

I've got a pretty big TBR for October! I have a lot of ARCs from NetGalley, plus I also have finished copies of Invictus by Ryan Graudin, Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo, and Even The Darkest Stars by Heather Fawcett (which was in my September FairyLoot box!)

October is my FAVORITE month! I'm excited for all the beautiful leaves that are already changing colors and falling, plus cute sweaters and boots and hot chocolate and rainy days perfect for snuggling up with a good book!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Themes: Five Books to Escape to a New World

Hello everyone! *waves* Remember how I said I was "back" and then didn't post anything for tover a year? Well now with this global pandemic I finally am returning to this blog. Lots of people are reading more than ever now, and I've had many people ask me to recommend various books. So I thought I'd do some posts more along those themes, and perhaps the occasional book review sprinkled in between. Today, the theme is inspired by traveling and exploring. I, like many of you, am tired of being stuck inside and unable to travel. One of the thing I love most about books is it's a way to escape and go on a new adventure. And I especially love books about finding a new world, ones that capture that awe and fascination and magical sense of a new place. It calls to that part deep within me that longs to see stunning vistas and meet new people and get to know a culture different from my own. Here are five books that capture that feeling, and will leave you aching t...

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi...

Thursday Themes: Books From My Childhood With Strong Female Protagonists

Looking over some of my favorite books that I read over and over from when I was growing up, I realized they all had one thing in common: Strong, independent, kick-ass female protagonists. I know reading these books helped shaped me into who I am today, as I wanted to emulate the characteristics found in these girls. I highly recommend all of these books to everyone, but especially if you have any young girls that you know. 1) Catherine, Called Birdy - Karen Cushman If I ever HAD to pick a favorite book (which, let's be real, is really impossible), then I just might say it's this one. I read this book so much that I had to go buy another copy because the first fell apart. The story is about Catherine, nickname Birdy, who is 14 years old, living in England in 1290 AD. Her father is determined to marry her off, but through hilarious shennanigens, she sends each would-be suitor packing. But then the nastiest--and richest--suitor comes along, and it will take everythi...