Skip to main content

Monthly Roundup: August 2017



August started off slow. I was kind of in a book slump--nothing really caught my interest and I went through a lot of first chapters. Plus, we were moving for the first week and then unpacking the rest of the month, so I was tired from that. But towards the end of the month things picked up again! It helped that I got some good ARCs via NetGalley!

In total, I read eight books this month! And one that I mostly read but could not bring myself to finish...
  1. The Tiger's Watch - Julia Ember (2 stars)
  2. The Jane Austen Project - Kathleen A. Flynn (4 stars)
  3. The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue - Mackenzie Lee (5 stars)
  4. Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynne Jones (5 stars) [reread]
  5. Book of a Thousand Days - Shannon Hale (5 stars)
  6. Nyxia - Scott Reintger (4 stars)
  7. The Fire Queen - Emily R. King (4 stars)
  8. Into The Dim - Janet B. Taylor (3.5 stars)
  9. A Jigsaw of Fire and Stars - Yaba Badoe (0 stars - DNF)

Quite a few 5 stars! In truth, Howl's Moving Castle has always been a favorite of mine, so that's no surprise. Book of a Thousand Days had been on my radar for awhile. It's more Middle Grade, but oh my goodness it made me cry from both despair and then happiness. What a gem of a book. And The Gentleman's Guide had me literally laughing out loud at the hilarious antics and clever lines, but was also full of character depth and growth. That's definitely going on the list for best of the year!

I read four books via NetGalley this month, which provides Advance Reader Copies (ARCs) in exchange for honest reviews. It's a way to generate buzz and promote books. Two of them were... Not my favorite. The other two, Nyxia and The Fire Queen were excellent and I really enjoyed them!

Next month there are a LOT of books coming out that I've been looking forward to! It's also going to be a super busy month for me so we'll see how much I actually read!

What were some books you read this month? What are you looking forward to in September?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Themes: Five Books to Escape to a New World

Hello everyone! *waves* Remember how I said I was "back" and then didn't post anything for tover a year? Well now with this global pandemic I finally am returning to this blog. Lots of people are reading more than ever now, and I've had many people ask me to recommend various books. So I thought I'd do some posts more along those themes, and perhaps the occasional book review sprinkled in between. Today, the theme is inspired by traveling and exploring. I, like many of you, am tired of being stuck inside and unable to travel. One of the thing I love most about books is it's a way to escape and go on a new adventure. And I especially love books about finding a new world, ones that capture that awe and fascination and magical sense of a new place. It calls to that part deep within me that longs to see stunning vistas and meet new people and get to know a culture different from my own. Here are five books that capture that feeling, and will leave you aching t...

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi...

Thursday Themes: Books From My Childhood With Strong Female Protagonists

Looking over some of my favorite books that I read over and over from when I was growing up, I realized they all had one thing in common: Strong, independent, kick-ass female protagonists. I know reading these books helped shaped me into who I am today, as I wanted to emulate the characteristics found in these girls. I highly recommend all of these books to everyone, but especially if you have any young girls that you know. 1) Catherine, Called Birdy - Karen Cushman If I ever HAD to pick a favorite book (which, let's be real, is really impossible), then I just might say it's this one. I read this book so much that I had to go buy another copy because the first fell apart. The story is about Catherine, nickname Birdy, who is 14 years old, living in England in 1290 AD. Her father is determined to marry her off, but through hilarious shennanigens, she sends each would-be suitor packing. But then the nastiest--and richest--suitor comes along, and it will take everythi...