Skip to main content

The Crowns of Croswald

The Crowns of Croswald by D. E. Night


*I received a free ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

This book releases 21 July 2017 from Untold Stories Press.


Synopsis (from Goodreads)
For sixteen years Ivy Lovely has been hidden behind an enchanted boundary that separates the mundane from the magical. When Ivy crosses the border, her powers awaken. Curiosity leads her crashing through a series of adventures at the Halls of Ivy, a school where students learn to master their magical blood and the power of Croswald’s mysterious gems. When Ivy’s magic—and her life—is threatened by the Dark Queen, she scrambles to unearth her history and save Croswald before the truth is swept away forever.


Review
An imaginative new world filled with magic, dragons, dwarves, royalty and mystery! I loved the creative new way that the magic works. For royals, they get magical stones on their 16th birthdays that have certain powers. For others who aren't royal, called scrivenists, they channel their magic through their magical quills and by sketching and reading lots of books and taking lots of notes. Sounds like heaven to me!

Ive Lovely is a, well, lovely character! She's determined and capable, though she does wind up getting herself into a few messes! She has a big heart and is a fun heroine to cheer for, and I like how she developed good friendships by helping people.

The writing is tight and focused, with most scenes building towards the plot, though there are a few that serve to build the world (which I didn't mind at all!). This book is written for a slightly younger audience; I would place it somewhere between Middle Grade and YA (ages 11-16), though I think people of all ages will enjoy it! The somewhat younger language in no way influences the quality of the story being told. We still get beautiful and vivid descriptions and truly funny moments (one of the first scenes in the kitchen with ugly Helga had me laughing out loud!).

A magical and enchanting read! If you're a fan of Harry Potter and fairy tales, then this book is right up your alley.


Rating
I give this book 4 stars.


Details
Genre: MG, YA, Fantasy
Language: None.
Sex: None.
Violence: None.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Themes: Five Books to Escape to a New World

Hello everyone! *waves* Remember how I said I was "back" and then didn't post anything for tover a year? Well now with this global pandemic I finally am returning to this blog. Lots of people are reading more than ever now, and I've had many people ask me to recommend various books. So I thought I'd do some posts more along those themes, and perhaps the occasional book review sprinkled in between. Today, the theme is inspired by traveling and exploring. I, like many of you, am tired of being stuck inside and unable to travel. One of the thing I love most about books is it's a way to escape and go on a new adventure. And I especially love books about finding a new world, ones that capture that awe and fascination and magical sense of a new place. It calls to that part deep within me that longs to see stunning vistas and meet new people and get to know a culture different from my own. Here are five books that capture that feeling, and will leave you aching t...

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi...

Thursday Themes: Books From My Childhood With Strong Female Protagonists

Looking over some of my favorite books that I read over and over from when I was growing up, I realized they all had one thing in common: Strong, independent, kick-ass female protagonists. I know reading these books helped shaped me into who I am today, as I wanted to emulate the characteristics found in these girls. I highly recommend all of these books to everyone, but especially if you have any young girls that you know. 1) Catherine, Called Birdy - Karen Cushman If I ever HAD to pick a favorite book (which, let's be real, is really impossible), then I just might say it's this one. I read this book so much that I had to go buy another copy because the first fell apart. The story is about Catherine, nickname Birdy, who is 14 years old, living in England in 1290 AD. Her father is determined to marry her off, but through hilarious shennanigens, she sends each would-be suitor packing. But then the nastiest--and richest--suitor comes along, and it will take everythi...