Skip to main content

The Magicians

The Magicians - Lev Grossman


Synopsis
(from Goodreads)
Like everyone else, precocious high school senior Quentin Coldwater assumes that magic isn't real, until he finds himself admitted to a very secretive and exclusive college of magic in upstate New York. There he indulges in joys of college-friendship, love, sex, and booze- and receives a rigorous education in modern sorcery. But magic doesn't bring the happiness and adventure Quentin thought it would. After graduation, he and his friends stumble upon a secret that sets them on a remarkable journey that may just fulfill Quentin's yearning. But their journey turns out to be darker and more dangerous than they'd imagined.

Review
Promoted as "Harry Potter for adults", I would say that's somewhat accurate. There's a magical college. And it's very adult. As in lots of sex and drinking, etc. The school part is actually only the first half of the book. I felt like there was just a bunch of random events that the narrative talked about that didn't seem to have much connection to any overall plot. In fact, I wasn't really sure what the actual plot was until the last 10% of the book. And that's probably the part I liked the most, since I finally knew what was going on. Too much stuff happens too fast, and Quentin is oblivious to half the stuff going on around him.

Magic in this book is a force that can't be understood. And spells are very complex and require random ingredients and hand motions and words in a variety of languages. Part of me felt like it was almost too complex to enjoy, and it took the wonder out of the magic.

Quentin, the main character, is a whiny brat who is never satisfied and never happy and is a jerk to people he loves. It was only in the last couple chapters that I realized he was severely depressed and had been the entire time. I originally liked and related to his feeling of there being more than this world, and hoping and waiting for magic. I think many of us secretly wish that we'll get swept up on a magical adventure. But when he gets that magic... it's not enough. The only character I liked is Alice, who gets shafted in every way possible. All the other characters just drink all the time and have sad lives (Sidenote: I hate it when books portray teens/college age kids as just always being drunk/doing drugs. I feel like it's lazy and not at all interesting).

It took me awhile to read because I feel like the story draaaggggeeeddd. I almost gave up a couple times but I kept hoping it would get better. As I said, the last part of the book is where it really starts to get interesting, and you start seeing how the threads come together into a bigger narrative. There are two more books in the series, and while the ending finally piqued my interest, I just looked up the plots for the next books on Wikipedia because I don't feel like reading the other two.

I really like the idea of the story, but the execution of it and the writing just weren't for me. I would not recommend this book.


Rating
I give this book 2 stars.


Details
Genre: Fantasy
Language: Very strong language on every page.
Sex: Lots of sex, some a bit graphic.
Violence: Lots of violence, though not as graphic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Themes: Five Books to Escape to a New World

Hello everyone! *waves* Remember how I said I was "back" and then didn't post anything for tover a year? Well now with this global pandemic I finally am returning to this blog. Lots of people are reading more than ever now, and I've had many people ask me to recommend various books. So I thought I'd do some posts more along those themes, and perhaps the occasional book review sprinkled in between. Today, the theme is inspired by traveling and exploring. I, like many of you, am tired of being stuck inside and unable to travel. One of the thing I love most about books is it's a way to escape and go on a new adventure. And I especially love books about finding a new world, ones that capture that awe and fascination and magical sense of a new place. It calls to that part deep within me that longs to see stunning vistas and meet new people and get to know a culture different from my own. Here are five books that capture that feeling, and will leave you aching t...

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi...

Thursday Themes: Books From My Childhood With Strong Female Protagonists

Looking over some of my favorite books that I read over and over from when I was growing up, I realized they all had one thing in common: Strong, independent, kick-ass female protagonists. I know reading these books helped shaped me into who I am today, as I wanted to emulate the characteristics found in these girls. I highly recommend all of these books to everyone, but especially if you have any young girls that you know. 1) Catherine, Called Birdy - Karen Cushman If I ever HAD to pick a favorite book (which, let's be real, is really impossible), then I just might say it's this one. I read this book so much that I had to go buy another copy because the first fell apart. The story is about Catherine, nickname Birdy, who is 14 years old, living in England in 1290 AD. Her father is determined to marry her off, but through hilarious shennanigens, she sends each would-be suitor packing. But then the nastiest--and richest--suitor comes along, and it will take everythi...