Skip to main content

Caraval

Caraval - Stephanie Garber




Synopsis
(From Goodreads)
Scarlett has never left the tiny island where she and her beloved sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval, the far-away, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show, are over.
But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.

Review
I read the whole book one Sunday afternoon! The feel I got from it as was a little Alice in Wonderland-esque, with all the crazy rule-defying things and how nothing was ever as it seemed, mixed with some of the the grandeur and magic of The Night Circus (which I loved).

I loved the feel of magic. I loved the beautiful dresses and imaginative scenery. Black and white and red and roses and magic. The prose was very poetic, which helped move the story along and gave a sense of magic and wonder to the words.

We have about five main characters. There's Scarlett, who is the main protagonist and we see the story unfold from her eyes. There's her sister, Tella, and their father, who is the main "villain". Legend is the head of Caraval, and Julian is a mysterious sailor who takes the sisters to the island.

Scarlett as a character drove me crazy for the first 80% of the book. She is very naive, insecure, incompetent, and doesn't come off as especially clever as she doesn't seem to get some very obvious clues. But! by the last few chapters I felt she finally came into her own, where she started challenging and overcoming her fears and standing up for herself. Her sister Tella was a brat. I didn't like her from the beginning and the ending confirmed it, no matter her motives. I felt really bad for Scarlett, as Scarlett was super loyal to Tella throughout the book, and I didn't really think Tella deserving of that, especially after the trauma Scarlett has to go through to try and find her.

Julian was the mysterious sailor and then love interest. The romance felt a little weird, especially in that you knew something was up since Caraval is all a game and everything is a lie. It was a little *insta-love* as this story takes place over five days, but since Scarlett had never left home before, of course she would fall for the first guy who gives her attention (even though she's engaged to someone she's never met). That being said, there are some redeeming aspects of Julian and their romance, especially toward the end, and some swoon-worthy kisses!

The setting at first came off interesting, with the sisters living on this island that's been conquered by an Empire, but unfortunately we don't get much more than that. Caraval itself takes place on another island, but we don't get any background about the world itself. I'm hoping the second book explores that more.

The plot of Caraval felt very confusing, despite the beautiful descriptions and poetic prose. In the beginning of the game, the people who run the show say that nothing there is real, and yet you come to find out there is a darker--and very real--underside to the whole show. They warn Scarlett not to get too caught up, but how could she not? I felt like at some point the "game" crossed the line and turned to traumatic abuse. I know it was supposed to be confusing, in that Scarlett couldn't ever really know what was real and what wasn't, but at times I felt a little overwhelmed. It always seemed like she kept making the wrong choice because she was told one thing and then, surprise! That was a lie. I felt like the novelty of all the twists and reveals began to wear off and by about halfway through the book I was annoyed because I couldn't follow anything. At the end, most things are made clear, thank goodness, and the way is paved for the sequel.

Overall, a mysterious, somewhat dark, fantasy tale. I liked it, despite the failings I mentioned above. The prose was beautiful and the story itself was interesting, though I felt the characters could have been fleshed out better and the plot culled of so many confusing twists.


Rating
I give this book 3 stars.


Details
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Language: None
Sex: None, though some allusions to it.
Violence: Some violence, though not excessively graphic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Themes: Five Books to Escape to a New World

Hello everyone! *waves* Remember how I said I was "back" and then didn't post anything for tover a year? Well now with this global pandemic I finally am returning to this blog. Lots of people are reading more than ever now, and I've had many people ask me to recommend various books. So I thought I'd do some posts more along those themes, and perhaps the occasional book review sprinkled in between. Today, the theme is inspired by traveling and exploring. I, like many of you, am tired of being stuck inside and unable to travel. One of the thing I love most about books is it's a way to escape and go on a new adventure. And I especially love books about finding a new world, ones that capture that awe and fascination and magical sense of a new place. It calls to that part deep within me that longs to see stunning vistas and meet new people and get to know a culture different from my own. Here are five books that capture that feeling, and will leave you aching t...

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi...

Thursday Themes: Books From My Childhood With Strong Female Protagonists

Looking over some of my favorite books that I read over and over from when I was growing up, I realized they all had one thing in common: Strong, independent, kick-ass female protagonists. I know reading these books helped shaped me into who I am today, as I wanted to emulate the characteristics found in these girls. I highly recommend all of these books to everyone, but especially if you have any young girls that you know. 1) Catherine, Called Birdy - Karen Cushman If I ever HAD to pick a favorite book (which, let's be real, is really impossible), then I just might say it's this one. I read this book so much that I had to go buy another copy because the first fell apart. The story is about Catherine, nickname Birdy, who is 14 years old, living in England in 1290 AD. Her father is determined to marry her off, but through hilarious shennanigens, she sends each would-be suitor packing. But then the nastiest--and richest--suitor comes along, and it will take everythi...