Skip to main content

Uprooted

Uprooted - Naomi Novik


Synopsis
The people of Agnieszka's village live a simple life on the edge of the mysterious corrupted Wood. A sorcerer, called the Dragon, keeps the evil at bay, but at a steep price. Every ten years, he takes a girl from the nearby villages to live with him. Everyone knows at the next choosing that he will take Kasia, the best, brightest, and most beautiful, and Agnieszka's best friend. But when the Dragon comes, it is Agnieszka that is chosen instead.


Review
I really enjoyed this book. The story catches you quickly and then takes you in an unexpected direction. Loosely based on Polish culture and mythology, it has the feeling of an old Brother's Grimm fairytale. The writing is beautiful, the characters complex, and the world magical and tense.

Even though her name sounds like a sneeze, I liked Agnieszka. We see her growth as she goes from a backwoods girl who never expected anything much out of life, to her realizing she has an enormous power and that she has the ability to overcome the shadow of the Wood that has towered over her home and loved ones her entire life. I didn't really like the Dragon. I thought he was mean and selfish and doesn't really change much over the course of the book.

The plot takes several unexpected turns. At first you think it's going to be a "Beauty and the Beast" type book, where the girl is captured by a man and lives in his house, but it turns into much more than that. We learn about the magic of the world and how Agnieszka actually has the ability to do some really powerful stuff. Then she saves her best friend who was taken by the Wood, and then everything goes crazy and she gets caught up in a political scandal and turmoil, figuring out the mystery of where this dark evil has come from and why it's here.

The villain in this, the Wood, is terrifying, especially in its abstraction. It is so powerful and so sneaky, and a seemingly unstoppable power. You think Agnieszka has finally gotten the upper hand and then everything gets much worse. The whole plot builds up to a very satisfying conclusion with the backstory explained and some beautiful heartfelt scenes and tense action sequences.

My complaint was the random sex scene. It felt SO out of place and unnecessary and did nothing for the story, almost as if it had been thrown in because the author decided she wanted to do more with the romance plot line and here was a good spot to squeeze something in. It really took me out of the story. It was also fairly graphic, unlike the rest of the novel. I actually found the whole romance sub-plot to be somewhat forced and creepy (he's like hundreds of years old and she's eighteen. Can we just stop with that?). He's also really mean to Agnieszka in the beginning. It would have been a perfectly fine book with no romance. Maybe even better.

Those points aside, it was overall, a gripping YA fantasy with all the feel of an age-old fairy tale. Would recommend.


Rating
I give this book 3.5 stars.


Details
Genre: YA, Fantasy.
Language: Very little, if any.
Sex: A couple intense sexual scenes.
Violence: Some weird and creepy ways that characters are killed with magic, plus some murders. Not excessively graphic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Themes: Five Books to Escape to a New World

Hello everyone! *waves* Remember how I said I was "back" and then didn't post anything for tover a year? Well now with this global pandemic I finally am returning to this blog. Lots of people are reading more than ever now, and I've had many people ask me to recommend various books. So I thought I'd do some posts more along those themes, and perhaps the occasional book review sprinkled in between. Today, the theme is inspired by traveling and exploring. I, like many of you, am tired of being stuck inside and unable to travel. One of the thing I love most about books is it's a way to escape and go on a new adventure. And I especially love books about finding a new world, ones that capture that awe and fascination and magical sense of a new place. It calls to that part deep within me that longs to see stunning vistas and meet new people and get to know a culture different from my own. Here are five books that capture that feeling, and will leave you aching t...

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi...

Thursday Themes: Books From My Childhood With Strong Female Protagonists

Looking over some of my favorite books that I read over and over from when I was growing up, I realized they all had one thing in common: Strong, independent, kick-ass female protagonists. I know reading these books helped shaped me into who I am today, as I wanted to emulate the characteristics found in these girls. I highly recommend all of these books to everyone, but especially if you have any young girls that you know. 1) Catherine, Called Birdy - Karen Cushman If I ever HAD to pick a favorite book (which, let's be real, is really impossible), then I just might say it's this one. I read this book so much that I had to go buy another copy because the first fell apart. The story is about Catherine, nickname Birdy, who is 14 years old, living in England in 1290 AD. Her father is determined to marry her off, but through hilarious shennanigens, she sends each would-be suitor packing. But then the nastiest--and richest--suitor comes along, and it will take everythi...