Skip to main content

Vengeance Road

Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman



Synopsis (from Goodreads)
When her father is murdered for a journal revealing the location of a hidden gold mine, eighteen-year-old Kate Thompson disguises herself as a boy and takes to the gritty plains looking for answers—and justice. What she finds are untrustworthy strangers, endless dust and heat, and a surprising band of allies, among them a young Apache girl and a pair of stubborn brothers who refuse to quit riding in her shadow. But as Kate gets closer to the secrets about her family, a startling truth becomes clear: some men will stop at nothing to get their hands on gold, and Kate’s quest for revenge may prove fatal.

Review
This was my last book of 2017, and it was good enough to make it to my top books list for the year!

A friend gave me a copy of the companion novel, Retribution Rails, so naturally I had to read Vengeance Road first! Luckily it was available at the library and I devoured it in only a couple days.

Vengeance Road is everything you love about the Wild West. It's got outlaws, bandits, saloons, shootouts, guns, horses, riding through the desert, and a search for gold. I loved the western cowboy language style that the author writes in. It really draws you into the story and the world. The plot is well-paced with lots of action, but also some slower, heart-felt scenes that really bring the characters to life. It moves along quickly and is tightly written.

The story is told from the point of view of Kate, and begins when she discovers her father has been murdered by the notorious gang, the Rose Riders. She sets off, determined to hunt them down and kill them in revenge. Along the way she teams up with Jesse and William Colton, as well as a young Apache girl named Liluye.

Kate is one of my favorite characters... Ever. She has spunk and grit and she gets things done. She's no-nonsense and headstrong, which also gets her into trouble when she doesn't think things through. But she also has a soft, compassionate side that comes through when it's really needed. Jesse makes a good balance with Kate. He's troubled by his past and fights to overcome his fears and prejudices. Both characters make mistakes and learn and grow and go through some complicated emotions. The secondary characters, like William and Liluye, as well as the villain Wylan Rose, and others that their group meets along the way, are interesting and well-rounded and bring out different aspects of the main characters.

One of the strong themes of the book was, of course, revenge. And with that also came the theme of letting the past go. Both Kate and Jesse have this theme woven into their storyline. The story weaves in themes of love, hope, sorrow, and accepting those broken parts of you. The author also discusses the treatment of Native Americans by white settlers and the interactions and conflicts between the two groups.

Overall, I loved it. I thought it was a fun, thrilling Wild West adventure and made me wish we had more YA western books! I would highly recommend!


Rating
4.5 stars!


Details
Genre: Historical Fiction, YA.
Language: Mild
Sex: None.
Violence: Lots of shooting and gun violence and some gruesome murders, but not graphically described.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi