Skip to main content

Thursday Themes: Books From My Childhood With Strong Female Protagonists

Looking over some of my favorite books that I read over and over from when I was growing up, I realized they all had one thing in common: Strong, independent, kick-ass female protagonists. I know reading these books helped shaped me into who I am today, as I wanted to emulate the characteristics found in these girls. I highly recommend all of these books to everyone, but especially if you have any young girls that you know.



1) Catherine, Called Birdy - Karen Cushman



If I ever HAD to pick a favorite book (which, let's be real, is really impossible), then I just might say it's this one. I read this book so much that I had to go buy another copy because the first fell apart.

The story is about Catherine, nickname Birdy, who is 14 years old, living in England in 1290 AD. Her father is determined to marry her off, but through hilarious shennanigens, she sends each would-be suitor packing. But then the nastiest--and richest--suitor comes along, and it will take everything Catherine has to get rid of him. This book is told journal style, which gives us a look into daily life in a typical manor and village in Medieval England. We get little details, such as how many fleas she killed that day, the saint's days, and her musings on life, religion, and love.

I loved this book as a child (and teen and adult) because Catherine is a strong, independent girl with big dreams. She has limitations thrust upon her, due to her higher born status, and the fact that she is a woman, but she doesn't let any of that stop her from getting what she wants. I like that she found ways to work within, and sometimes around, her limitations, which shows me that even when things don't go our way, we don't have to sit around and wait for the outcome. Rather we can go out and get it ourselves.



2) Mara, Daughter of the Nile - Eloise Jarvis McGraw



Mara is a slave in Egypt. She is one day acquired by a new master with a dangerous proposition: To spy inside the royal palace. Once there, however, she is recruited by the opposing side to spy for them. Mara decides to be a double spy and see where the chips fall, in order to secure the best outcome for herself.  What she didn't count on was Sheftu, a handsome Egyptian nobleman who also works as a spy within the palace. Mara is a smart, spunky girl, who takes the cards she's been dealt in life and makes the best of them.

One of the main reasons I love this book is because it's set in Ancient Egypt (specifically the 18th Dynasty during the reign of Hapshetsut and Thutmose III), which is my field of study. My mother loved this book and gave to me one day to read. I instantly fell in love with it as well and have read it many times since. Along with a thrilling and suspenseful spy plot, it's a story about love and loyalty, and brings to life beautiful ancient Egypt.



3) Dealing with Dragons - Patricia C. Wrede


This is Book 1 in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles.

Cimorene is a princess, but not a good one, in the traditional sense. She'd much rather study magic and sword-fighting than proper etiquette. She decides to set out on her own adventure, and comes to the cave of the dragon Kazul. She voluntarily becomes Kazul's princess and spends her time cleaning the treasure room, learning magic, sending away knights who try to rescue her, and baking a fabulous cherries jubilee. When she uncovers a plot against the King of the Dragons, she has to use her wit and new friends to save the day.

I loved this book because it takes all the damsel in distress and princess tropes and tosses them out the window. Cimorene is smart, sarcastic, and down to earth. When a jinn determined to kill her asks how she wishes to die, she smoothly responds "Old age". She is strong and independent and didn't wait for a man to come save her, she made her own path in life and created her own happily-ever-after.



Comments

  1. Ditto on the kick-ass female protagonists! I'll have to read the first two. Some of my favorites are Anne Shirley from the Anne of Green gables series, Jo March from little women and, Laura Ingalls Wilder from little house on the prairie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on the kick-ass female protagonists! I'll have to read the first two. Some of my favorites are Anne Shirley from the Anne of Green gables series, Jo March from little women and, Laura Ingalls Wilder from little house on the prairie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi