Skip to main content

Thursday Themes: Five Books to Escape to a New World

Hello everyone! *waves* Remember how I said I was "back" and then didn't post anything for tover a year? Well now with this global pandemic I finally am returning to this blog. Lots of people are reading more than ever now, and I've had many people ask me to recommend various books. So I thought I'd do some posts more along those themes, and perhaps the occasional book review sprinkled in between.

Today, the theme is inspired by traveling and exploring. I, like many of you, am tired of being stuck inside and unable to travel. One of the thing I love most about books is it's a way to escape and go on a new adventure. And I especially love books about finding a new world, ones that capture that awe and fascination and magical sense of a new place. It calls to that part deep within me that longs to see stunning vistas and meet new people and get to know a culture different from my own.

Here are five books that capture that feeling, and will leave you aching to explore new worlds.


1) A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab



This book is on my top-10 favorite books list. In this world, there are four worlds, all existing next to each other like pages of a book, all with cities established where London is. Only certain people, called Antari, have the power to travel between worlds. Kell is one of the last Antari, and when he is framed for a crime, he escapes from his world, Red London, into our world, Grey London. There he meets Lila Bard, a sassy thief who is hungry for adventure. Together they must journey through the various Londons to help save them from a magical enemy. This is the first book in a trilogy, and each book gets better and better.


2) The City of Brass by S. A. Chakrabourty



This is the book I've been recommending to anyone and everyone who asks. Nahri is a street thief in 18th century Cairo. When she accidentally summons a powerful and ancient (and, uh, *super hot*) djinn, she is taken away to a world she didn't know existed, full of magic and mythical creatures. There she begins to learn more about her past and is swept up in intense political intrigue. This is the first book of a trilogy (the third is being published this July!) and the characters are so loveable and relatable and real. The setting is magical and is somewhere I wish I could explore.


3) The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow



This book really calls to that wild urge in my heart to find new worlds and explore. January is the ward of a wealthy eccentric man. One day she finds a book that talks about doors to new worlds. As she reads more of the story, she finds it is becoming increasingly tied to her own. I loved this story, the prose, the characters, and the world that is built between the pages. Also there is a lovable dog (who does NOT die).


4) Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor



This book is infused with magic and wonder and awe. Laini Taylor constructs such a fantastic, almost tangible world, I felt like I could step between the pages and emerge in a fully-realized place. The main character, Lazlo Strange, an orphan, has been fascinated by the mythical city of Weep. One day, a group of explorers invite him to join their search for the city. He begins to have dreams of a mysterious blue-skinned girl, and wonders what actually happened to the people of the city, and the gods who used to rule them?


5) Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire




This is the book for everyone who wishes that they had found a secret door at the back of their wardrobe, or fallen down a rabbit hole into a new world. This story is about those children who find doors to other magical worlds... and what happens when they return. This book will leave you wishing and hoping that a mysterious door will appear to take you away to a new adventure.

Comments

  1. I have added a bunch of these to my goodreads list! They sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil