Skip to main content

The Miniaturist

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton



Synopsis
In Amsterdam, 1686, young Nella Oortman has married a very wealthy--and much older--merchant, Johannes Brant. She moves from her little village and into his house in the city. Her new husband is kind, but unfortunately has no real interest in her, and leaves her alone in the house with his spinster sister, Marin, and the two servants. As a wedding gift, Johannes buys her a miniature version of their house. She finds a miniaturist and sends a request for things to furnish the little house. But then Nella starts receiving packages that she didn't ask for, and the Miniaturist seems to know things that should be impossible for anyone outside the house to know. As things grow more dangerous for the family, Nella finds herself drawn to the elusive Miniaturist--Are they predicting what will happen, or are they the cause?


Review
The story's creepy and suspenseful premise, plus the setting in Amsterdam during its Golden Era, is what drew me in. Unfortunately, I felt like this book failed to deliver on some accounts.

First off, things I did like about the book:

The writing was good and kept me engaged and interested in the story. The plot moved and built up events and twists well.

Again, the setting. As I currently live in the Netherlands, I'm interested in learning more about the history of this country, and I enjoy reading historical fiction.  I felt like the book did a good job at showing what life was like then. The author had obviously done some good research. It was interesting to hear the characters talk about streets and sites and took look at them on the map and see where they were, plus to know that I had walked those same streets!

There was also the culture at the time, the juxtaposition of a thriving economy and middle-class with the stern religious values that promoted humility and sacrifice. This made for some interesting themes throughout the book. I also liked seeing how women in the Netherlands at that time were regarded. Compared to some other contemporary societies, like England, women in Amsterdam had a bit more freedom. But at the same time, they still didn't have much influence beyond their household. Seeing how Marin and Nella work within these societal constraints to still maintain some form of independence was interesting to observe, and I thought well-done on the part of the author.

I liked the main character, Nella. She's a young, naive girl that is suddenly thrust into a position where she has to grow up, fast. We see her making mistakes and then learning from them, growing in confidence as she finds her situation not to her liking and decides to do stop being pushed around and do something about it. If anything, the way the book ended made me mad because I felt like Nella deserved more. Johannes' sister, Marin, is unlikeable throughout the novel, but, like Nella, we come to understand her, though not completely like her.

What I didn't like about the book is that I felt that it didn't live up to its "promise". The book's premise seems to focus on this Miniaturist and how they somehow know the secrets of Nella's family, and seemingly predict horrible events that start to happen. But I felt like the story didn't focus on the Miniaturist very much and was overshadowed by the other events happening. You could have taken the Miniaturist out and the story would have still worked, which seems to defeat the point. Also, I felt that the ending, and explanation for what was going on, was abrupt and left super vague and open-ended. It felt as if the author herself had no way to explain it, so she just didn't. I also didn't like that Nella, despite her character growth, was left with a sad ending. I was glad I had rented the book from the library instead of spending money on it.

Overall, it's an interesting look at life in Amsterdam during the Dutch Golden Age, but the story used to deliver this history is lacking.


Rating
I give this book 3 Stars.


Details
Genre: Historical Fiction
Sex: There is a gay couple that one of the characters walks in on. Also there is talk about consummating a marriage.
Violence: Mild violence against a couple characters, plus a fight scene.
Language: Mild language.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi