Skip to main content

Finding Books

How do you find new books to read? I won't lie, I spend a lot of my time looking at books. Other people may browse music or shoes online; I look at books. I'm constantly searching for new books to read, new series to discover, new worlds to explore.  Here are my favorite ways to find books:

1) Ask friends! I periodically ask on social media, or by word of mouth, what everyone is reading and what they would recommend. I've come across some great new series this way. And bonus! You already have someone to talk about it with!

2) Best-seller lists. Whether the NYT or on Amazon or elsewhere, I figure most books that make the best-seller list do so because a lot of people like reading them. I've found several amazing books this way.  Plus, it helps me to branch out and try books that are outside of the typical genres I enjoy.

3) Awards lists. Closely related to the point above, I look at the various book awards and see what's been nominated and what's won. Again, I figure if it's up for an award, it usually will be a fairly decent book.

4) Online suggestions. When I buy or browse a book on Amazon, it will list books that other people who bought that book have bought, or give me suggestions to similar books.

5) Bookstores. I love bookstores. Often employees will display their favorite books that they've read. Bookstores also usually have a best-seller area. Plus it's easy to just wander around and see what catches your eye.

6) My library. Often they display popular suggestions or librarian favorites. The best thing about libraries is that they are risk-free! I like that I can try books that are totally different from what I usually read, and if I don't like it, I can just return it at no cost to myself.

7) Book blogs like this one! I regularly look at a few, and I like that they give you a better idea as to what the book is about and what the reviewer liked or didn't like.

8) Authors! I follow a lot of my favorite authors on Twitter, and they will sometimes suggest a book that they really liked. To me that says I'll probably like it too.


I think there is a book out there for everyone. You just have to find what you like!

Source: Buzzfeed UK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi