Skip to main content

The Woman in Cabin 10

The Woman in Cabin 10 - Ruth Ware



Synopsis
Lo Blackwood, a travel journalist, has the assignment of her career: one of ten slots on the maiden voyage of the luxury passenger ship, the Aurora.  From the moment she steps on board, Lo is swept up in the plush interior and free-flowing alcohol, hob-nobbing with rich and important people. The night after departure, Lo is awoken by scream and a loud splash. She is sure she witnessed someone being thrown overboard, complete with blood smeared on the deck. And yet, when security comes, the blood is gone, and all passengers are accounted for. Lo is sure of what she saw, but as she begins to investigate, things begin to spiral out of control.


Review
This book is like a Hitchcock thriller, or Agatha Christie. There's a girl who disappears but no one else has seen her and no one is missing. Who was she and where could she have gone? Who is hiding something? The main character doesn't quite trust her own mind and has anxiety and panic attacks which makes people distrust her. 

The main character, Lo, isn't brilliant or special or courageous. In fact, she's quite the opposite.  and that is one reason I liked her. She's normal and has to force herself to get through some scary things. However, I feel like the author tried to create an unreliable narrator by giving Lo a severe panic disorder and medication that she takes for it. Thus, is what she experiencing real or the result of combining her drugs with alcohol (which is what some characters believe)? Plus, in the beginning Lo's house is robbed, which makes her so panicky and scared that she barely sleeps for the three days before she leaves on the trip. I kept waiting for the robbery to tie back into the plot, but it seemed to only serve as an incident to make her even more jumbled up. For me, using anxiety as a device to cast doubt on Lo's interpretation of events only served to stigmatize mental illness. 

Plot-wise, I liked that it wasn't an easy way out at the end. Things kept going wrong and she had to figure out how to deal with it. However, I felt like this was a step below what could have been a really good thriller. I would have liked the stakes to be higher, the consequences for her failure to be more severe, and for Lo to have had to stretch even more as a character to get her through, maybe to have had to make some tough, no-right-answer decisions.

All in all, it was a good mystery, kept me guessing, and I did not quite see the ending coming, so that's always a plus. It's a quick, engaging read, so if you're looking for a good book for a flight or train ride, this would be a good option.


Rating
I give this book 3 stars


Details
Genre: Mystery, Thriller.
Language: Lots of language.
Sex: Some mention of it, but no sex scenes.
Violence: Some violence, not too graphic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil