Skip to main content

I've Got Your Number

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella



Synopsis
Poppy Wyatt is engaged to handsome Magnus Tavish, a brilliant academic from a brilliant, nerdy, academic family. They're all set to get married in just a few weeks, though she struggles with feeling inadequate and inferior to her fiancee and his family. But then she loses her phone, and her engagement ring, on the same day. Luckily she finds a spare phone in the rubbish, which happens to belong to Sam Roxton, a practical and often socially inept executive at a prestigious company. He agrees to let her keep the phone if she helps him with some work while he looks for a new assistant (the last one having ditched the phone in the bin when she quit). Poppy begins to find out more about Sam's life, and begins to interfere little by little, her actions having often hilarious consequences. As Poppy juggles wedding prep, hiding the missing ring from her fiancé, and meddling with Sam, she begins to really think about what--and who--she actually wants.


Review
This is one of those books you don't need much brain power to read, which is exactly why I picked it up. Sometimes I just need a book like this, especially after reading something heavy that really takes a lot out of me emotionally or forces me to think about deep topics. I don't dislike books like this, but nor do I think they're that great. For what it is--a lighthearted and humorous romance novel--it's pretty good.

The main character, Poppy, though extremely flawed, was not as one dimensional as she first comes off. Neither was Sam, the charming and very handsome executive. Her fiancée and his family and her friends, however, showed multiple layers to their personalities, but much it came off as forced, like, "They are this way" and then "SURPRISE! They're actually not like that at all, but are THIS way!", rather than a nice gradual mix.

In terms of plot, it's a series of barely held together crazy random screwball events. Situations that would never happen in real life, or wouldn't happen if all the characters didn't just lie about stupid things all the time. Seriously. Sometimes the main character, Poppy, will tell a lie rather than just say the truth and clear up a misconception. I get that Poppy's character is very insecure and trying to feel validated and accepted by her brainiac future in-laws and other people around her, but sometimes I just wanted to slap her for making just really stupid choices that led to huge consequences where she had to lie even more. It goes from being endearing to being a bit annoying. But, of course, the book wouldn't be what it is without the hilarious and pointless drama, and so it needs its characters to make bad decisions. That hasn't kept me from reading some of the author's other books either.

Because I often read things that force me to analyze and think critically, it's hard for me to turn it off. Reading books like this one are an exercise for me in just letting go of being overly analytical and just enjoying something light and flirty without much substance. I did enjoy the book. It had moments that made me laugh out loud. It's the book equivalent of watching a rom-com, and thus great for a relaxing read.

Overall, the story is fun and comes to a happy and satisfying--thought slightly weird--conclusion.


Rating
I give this book 3 stars


Details
Genre: Romance, humor
Sex: Characters have sex and talk about having sex, but nothing is ever graphically described.
Violence: None
Language: One or two swear words dropped here and there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi