Skip to main content

Shadows of Self

Shadows of Self - Brandon Sanderson






This is the second book in a series, so potential Spoilers for the first book, Alloy of Law.


Synopsis
Waxillium Ladrian is back in Elendel a few months after the events in Alloy of Law. He's trying to settle into normal life, but obviously failing. He and his best friend, Wayne, use their powers to help the police force chase down criminals in the city. Marasi Combs, now a constable, joins them. In doing so, they uncover a plot to overthrow the governor. With social and economic conditions worsening, the government collapsing could send them back to a state like from the time of the Final Empire. It's a race against time and an immortal enemy to save civilization as they know it.


Review
Surprisingly, I have not reviewed one of Sanderson's novels yet.  He is one of my favorite authors, and I basically love everything he writes.  He is a master storyteller, with huge plot twists and reveals that I can never quite guess, but when I look back I see how he hinted at them. He always builds up big expectations and then proceeds to blow them out of the water.

Shadows of Self did not disappoint.

The world-building is incredible, and one of Sanderson's strengths. This series takes place 300 years after the original Mistborn series. The story and characters often refer to those events and visit similar themes, but the world itself is new, the conditions are new, and while they are tied by a similar thread, they don't feel worn-out and repeated. The setting in Shadows feels like turn-of-the-20th-century New York mixed with steampunk mixed with Wild West, with various religions and cultures mixed in.

The magic system, as always, is one of the focal points of this series. To quickly explain, in this world, certain metals grant certain powers.  Some people can ingest metal and have a power, this is called Allomancy (For instance, ingesting steel and then "burning" it means the person can Push against other metal things). Others have bands of metal they wear, called "metalminds", where they can store certain attributes to be called on later (for instance, you can store health in a metalmind, meaning you'll be a bit sick for a time, but then you can tap it for needed extra healing if you're wounded). Sanderson brilliantly imagines how these powers would affect a society, and how they would be used commonly everyday. I like that his magic systems have rules to how they work, the characters' powers have limits, and yet they find a way to work with their strengths and around their weaknesses. It's much more fun to read about the challenges and how they overcome them.

I feel like this book was mainly about the characters and their growth. Each of the main characters (Wax, Wayne, and Marasi) go through personal challenges as they work together to solve the major crisis in the story, and Sanderson does not make it easy for them. I enjoyed seeing the plot unfold from their different viewpoints. Wax is a rough-and-tumble sort of guy who is trying to overcome guilt and fit in where he doesn't belong. Marasi is trying to prove herself and gained the self-confidence to stand up for herself. Wayne is... well, Wayne.  With his sideways logic, silly shenanigans, and the way he speaks, I feel like he is Sanderson's hat-tip to Terry Pratchett and his Discworld series (which is another one of my favorites).

While this is a middle book, it does a good job of not just being a bridge between the beginning and the climax. It has its own self-contained plot while building on the previous book and introducing elements for the rest of the series. I'm very excited for the sequel, coming out in January!!!

As a warning, you will not fully enjoy this book if you have not read the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, and especially if you haven't read the first in this series, Alloy of Law. I highly recommend both!


Rating
I give this book 5 stars


Details
Genre: Fantasy
Sex: The occasional innuendo, nothing graphic.
Violence: People get shot, people die, there is blood. It's not super graphic. I'd say PG-13.
Language: One thing I love about Sanderson's books is he creates his own swear words for the people in the world of his story. So no language, unless you count 'rusting'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi