Skip to main content

Monthly Roundup: June 2018



June was a bit slow in terms of books. I feel like June went by SO FAST but I was so busy I didn't get that much reading done. I mean, I still read 5 books (though one is technically a novella that I read in a day), so that's not nothing, but I definitely felt like my momentum from the previous months waned.
  1. The Queens of Innis Lear - Tessa Gratton (5 stars)
  2. Beneath a Sugar Sky - Seanan McGuire (4 stars)
  3. The Dream Thieves - Maggie Stiefvater (4 stars)
  4. Blue Lily, Lily Blue - Maggie Stiefvater (4 stars)
  5. The Raven King - Maggie Stiefvater (3.5 stars)
  6. Geekerella - Ashley Poston (4 stars)

So first off, the Queens of Innis Lear was stunning. I did a buddy read and it was perfect! It's definitely going on my top books of 2018. You can read more on my full review, linked in the title above. Sugar Sky was the third novella in a series, and again some beautiful writing. I finished the Raven Cycle series and it was so good and unique. Look for a review of the series coming soon! And Geekerella was a super cute geeky romance!

There are some awesome books coming up in the next couple months! I wrote a post about which ones especially stood out to me. For July, I'm going to try and read some ARCs that I've gotten and catch up on some other library books I have!

What did you read this month?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil