Skip to main content

The Queen's Rising

The Queen's Rising by Rebecca Ross



Synopsis (from Goodreads)
When her seventeenth summer solstice arrives, Brienna desires only two things: to master her passion and to be chosen by a patron. . . .
However, despite all her preparations, Brienna’s greatest fear comes true—the solstice does not go according to plan and she is left without a patron.
Months later, her life takes an unexpected turn when a disgraced lord offers her patronage. Suspicious of his intent, and with no other choices, she accepts. But there is much more to his story, and Brienna soon discovers that he has sought her out for his own vengeful gain. For there is a dangerous plot being planned to overthrow the king of Maevana—the archrival kingdom of Valenia—and restore the rightful queen, and her magic, to the northern throne. And others are involved—some closer to Brienna than she realizes.



Review
Just a lovely, beautiful book. I really enjoyed reading it. It just kept growing and unfolding into a bigger and better story. Also, the cover is seriously gorgeous.

The characters were great. We come to know Brienna bit by bit, as she also comes to know herself. I loved the female friendships and the well-rounded female characters. I liked that they were feminine AND warriors, not just women trying to be like the men or having to prove they were as good as men. I also liked the various loving and healthy relationships between men and women (father, brother, friend), since a lot of times the men in books are either love interests or villains.

Best of all, there were never any creepy sexual assaults or rape-y overtones, which was so refreshing. There was romance, but it was slow growing, and really a side aspect to the overall story. It was something good and strengthening, without all the miscommunication and drama.

The descriptions of the settings were so lush and evocative, I felt like I was there. I could feel the warm sun on my face and the green grass beneath my feet. The descriptions of the gardens around the Summer Solstice were so evocative. And then Maevana sounds like a place where I'd want to live. It was obviously inspired by Scotland/Ireland, and just beautifully vivid with the deep forests and mists and castles.

Plot-wise, it moved at a pretty decent pace. It meanders a little in the beginning, but it's like a walk in the woods, where the scenery is so gorgeous you don't want to move too quickly. There were a few times I felt like the characters were a little naive, or maybe things worked out a little TOO easily, but not enough that it affected the story as a whole. If anything, it was kind of refreshing that not EVERYTHING went wrong all the time!

One warning I would give is don't look at the family trees at the beginning of the novel! There were a couple things that spoiled some of the plot-twists later in the book!

Overall, a beautiful read. I keep using that word, but I think it truly is the best description. I look forward to the companion novel!


Rating
I'd say the story over all is 4 stars, but I'm adding an extra .5 because of the no sexual violence! 4.5 stars.


Details
Genre: YA, Fantasy.
Language: Mild to none.
Sex: None.
Violence: There is a lot of bloody violence, but it's not over the top graphic. It's mostly when people are fighting on a battlefield.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi