Skip to main content

Monthly Roundup: March 2018



Well my book slump certainly ended... I also read a lot of shorter books this month. This month felt like it went by so fast, but also looking back it seems like the beginning of the month was so long ago! What is this weird time warp?!

Anyway, I read 11 books this month!
  1. Sourdough - Robin Sloan (4 stars)
  2. The Hazel Wood - Melissa Albert (4 stars)
  3. Robots vs Fairies - Dominik Parisien [editor] (4 stars)
  4. Percy Jackson's Greek Gods - Rick Riordan (3 stars)
  5. The Demigod Files - Rick Riordan (3 stars)
  6. The Demigod Diaries - Rick Riordan (3 stars)
  7. the princess saves herself in this one - Amanda Lovelace (4.5 stars)
  8. The Radical Element - Jessica Spotswood [editor] (4 stars)
  9. The Queen's Rising - Rebecca Ross (4.5 stars)
  10. Women & Power - Mary Beard (4.5 stars)
  11. A Court of Thorns and Roses - Sarah J. Maas [reread] (4.5 stars)

I was still on a slight Rick Riordan kick this month. There's just so much out there to read! And I liked reading some of the little side and short stories that he has. I also read a couple anthologies, which I really enjoyed! I like that they often introduce me to new authors, and I like how each story has such a different voice and feel to it. One thing that helped my book slump was I let go of the books I *should* read (books I have as ARCs, books that I borrowed from the library) and just went with what I *wanted* to read. I'm a big time mood reader. And toward the end of the month, I was just in the mood for some Sarah J. Maas and her High Lords. I'm actually almost done with the second in the series, but didn't finish it in time for the March Roundup! This series is SO good, and I like it even better the second time around because I see all the foreshadowing and hints she dropped.

Anyway, lots of reviews in the works. This month was busy with work and prepping for a series of exams I have coming in a couple weeks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi