Skip to main content

The Sword of Summer

The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase Book #1) by Rick Riordan



Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother's mysterious death, he's lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers. One day, he's tracked down by an uncle he's never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. His uncle tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god. The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years. When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision. Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . .

Review
This is the first book is a semi "spin off" series from Riordan's Percy Jackson series, which follows Greek and Roman gods and myths. Magnus Chase takes us to another fun set of European mythology: That of the Norse gods.

First of all, I'll say it's a little different than the Percy Jackson books in terms of tone and feel and story set-up, but still carries that same thread of humor and heartfelt moments and FUN, which Riordan does so well. In any case, I don't want this review to be a comparison to Percy Jackson, so that's all I'll say on that for now and try to avoid it below.

Let's get into the story itself. As the synopsis says, Magnus Chase is living homeless on the streets of Boston after his beloved mom dies in a weird and mysterious way. Weird stuff starts happening, a fire giant appears and fights him and... Magnus dies. Yup. Wasn't expecting that! (And it's not really a spoiler because you know right toward the beginning). BUT he's not *really* dead... because now he's an upgraded version of himself in Hotel Valhalla. From there he must find the Sword of Summer and stop Ragnarok.. Or at least put it off for a few more centuries.

I liked the new direction of this series, with the Norse gods. I liked seeing how Riordan wove those elements into the world that we know. The Norse myths aren't as well known as the Greek ones, so I feel like Riordan spent a little more time having to explain and world build, but I think it sets up the story well so that from then on we can just cruise right along with the adventures! The idea of Hotel Valhalla is interesting, though that leaves me wondering about all the demigod children that are still alive? And not everyone in Valhalla is, in fact, a demigod. It makes for a new and interesting mix of characters!

Magnus is the main protagonist, and the story is told through his eyes. He's sarcastic and a little closed off, but he cares about others, especially his close friends. In his ragtag team are Sam, a hijab-wearing demigod Valkyrie (who is also Muslim? Not sure how that works), a dwarf who loves fashion more than metalworking, and a deaf/mute elf who can wield the magic of runes. Loved the diversity in the characters.

The story itself felt a little formulaic... The bare bones of it are very similar to the Percy Jackson ones (sorry couldn't help the comparison!) BUT it's a structure that works, it has its differences, and so many stories use the same structure so I can't really say anything. The plot pulled me along and I wanted to keep reading.

All in all, if you enjoyed the Percy Jackson series, then this is a great continuation of that same fun feeling, in a different direction and world. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.


Rating
I give this book 3.5 stars.


Details
Genre: Middle-grade, YA, fantasy.
Language: None.
Sex: None.
Violence: Moderate (I mean, they are Norse gods), but it's never graphically described.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil