Skip to main content

Best of 2016



Well, this was basically one of the hardest lists I've ever compiled.

I read a plethora of good books this year. There were so many that were amazing, that I really enjoyed, and that I would highly recommend, but for this list, they had to have really made an impact (basically gotten a 5 and 4.5 star rating). It was extremely difficult for me to narrow them down to the Top 10, so I'm doing a Top 16 because it's 2016 and I'm just really awful at forcing myself to cut out books. And while I could just cut the list after #10, I loved numbers 11-16 just as much and didn't feel like it would accurately reflect my year without them.

I didn't count any books that I'd read before and then reread this year. Also, while these are all books that I've read this year, though they weren't necessarily published in 2016 (though many were).


My Top 16 Books of 2016 (in order):

1) The Female of the Species - Mindy McGinnis
A gripping contemporary YA about violence inflicted on--and by--women. This book looks at rape culture in honest, heartbreaking ways. It also has great female friendships and a bittersweet romance. 

2) A Court of Mist and Fury - Sarah J. Maas
The second book in the series, this book blew me away with it's astounding character development and portrayals of depression. Plus some awesome action and romance.

3) Crooked Kingdom - Leigh Bardugo
This book had everything: witty heists, humor, action, amazing characters, tense plot, intriguing magic and a well-developed world. 

4) City of Stairs - Robert Jackson Bennett (also City of Blades)
One of the most gripping fantasy novels I've ever read. Ancient gods, political turmoil, and some crazy, dry, dark humor.

5) A Gathering of Shadows - V. E. Schwab
Sequel to A Darker Shade of Magic, which was one of my top books last year. This picks up right where the action left off and ends with the most agonizing cliffhanger. It's full of magic, kick-ass characters, pirates, and new worlds.

6) Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell
An incredible and beautifully written contemporary YA about finding yourself, told through the eyes of the nerdy and introverted main character during her first year of college.

7) Luckiest Girl Alive - Jessica Knoll
A novel that takes a hard look at sexual assault and victim blaming and the effects it has on everyone's lives. This book was incredibly powerful.

8) The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet - Becky Chambers
My sci-fi space opera fix for the year! If you love the TV show Firefly, then this ragtag interspecies gang of spacefarers with humor and a vivid, detailed world is right up your alley. 

9) Wolf by Wolf - Ryan Graudin
The first book I read this year, and it still made the list. An alternate history where Nazis still rule, and one girl with supernatural powers is bent on the ultimate revenge: Kill Hitler.

10) Truthwitch - Susan Dennard
Magic, adventure, and awesome female friendships. I couldn't get enough of this incredible book.

11) Cinder (Lunar Chronicles series) - Marissa Meyer
I loved this whole series. Fairy tale retellings in a distant future with cyborgs, love, hilarious sassy AIs, and mind-controlling moon people.

12) A Shadow Bright and Burning - Jessica Cluess
The first female sorcerer in hundreds of years, destined to be the Chosen One... Except she isn't. Wonderful writing, great characters, and a fun alternate history of Victorian England with intense magic.

13) Rebel of the Sands - Alwyn Hamilton
Magic, adventure, romance, sharpshooting guns. Set in the desert with definite Middle Eastern influences, it was refreshing to have a different setting and magic than typical fantasy books. 

14) Passenger - Alexandra Bracken
Not your typical time travel novel. Etta and Nicholas have to travel across space and time to find a powerful object. Wonderful writing, romance, and adventure.

15) The Forbidden Wish - Jessica Khoury
Beautiful retelling of Aladdin form the female genie's perspective.

16) Girl Waits With Gun - Amy Stewart
The story of the plucky Constance Kopp, America's first female deputy, as she takes on a crime boss who is harassing her family.


Honorable Mentions*:

Every Heart a Doorway - Seannan Macguire
Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson (even though it's some of the best writing I've read this year, it is also mostly not new material)
Trigger Warning - Neil Gaimen
Bluescreen - Dan Wells
Half the World - Joe Abercrombie
A Torch Against The Night - Sabaa Tahir
The Forgetting - Sharon Cameron
Throne of Glass series - Sarah J. Maas
Orphan Train - Christina Baker Kline
This Savage Song - Victoria Schwab

*Books I really enjoyed but didn't quite make the "Top" list.

What books were your favorites this year?


I'm annoyed at myself for not writing more reviews about so many books I've loved (full disclosure: many of these books have reviews that are still drafts >_<). I promise 2017 will be a much better year for reviews. Now that life has calmed down a bit, I'll be able to dedicate more time and brain power to this blog.

I'm excited for so many new books coming out next year! And my current TBR (to be read) list is a mile long. I can't wait to see what books will be on my "Best of" list next year, and I hope I have just as difficult of a time deciding as I did this year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil