Skip to main content

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Holly Black




Synopsis
Tana wakes up in the morning after a wild high school party, and goes downstairs to find she’s the only one who has survived a vicious vampire attack. As she escapes, she also helps her ex-boyfriend, who has been bitten, and a young mysterious vampire. Together they drive to a Coldtown: a place where vampires and those who are bitten are quarantined in an effort to keep the epidemic contained. Non-infected people can also enter, but once you go in, it’s almost impossible to get out. Tana is determined to get out, even if that means taking on the biggest, baddest, and most powerful vampire in Coldtown.


Review
Vampires aren’t really my thing, but Holly Black just made it WORK in this story and reminded me how seductive, intriguing, and terrifying they can be. In this story, vampires have become an epidemic. Once bitten by a vampire, a person goes “Cold", and if they drink human blood within that time, then they die and are reborn as a vampire. A Cold person can try and resist the urge, but the need for blood grows stronger and stronger until it drives the person insane.

The world Black creates was bleak and dark, but so real. She explores how--if vampires did exist and the risk of an attack was present in everyday life--would that that shift society? What would it be like growing up in that world? Normal life continues on as best as it can—teens going to parties, people watching TV and making blogs. But then the TV shows are centered around reality shows about vampires, schools have PSA assemblies about what to do if ever crossed with a vampire, and people carry anti-vampire tokens with them.

Tana is an interesting main character. She is haunted by the time her mother went Cold and tried to kill her. You get the sense that she tries to stay aloof and "cool", but she has a big heart. Her biggest asset, and failing, is that she wants to save others. This makes her extremely likable and sympathetic, especially as she gets into worse and worse situations. Other main characters include Gavriel, an insane vampire that talks in riddles and to whom Tana is romantically drawn.

The plot is fairly straight forward, always driven by Tana trying to find ways out of Coldtown, but each time something goes wrong and she's in it even deeper than before. This drive the tension higher and higher and while a satisfying resolution was reached, it isn't all happy. I felt it remained true to the book's overall feel.

The book is quite gory and violent and dark, but for me that was part of the appeal. And I think that comes with the vampire territory.

I really liked Holly Black's writing style and her ability to tackle dark subjects without getting bogged down in heavy prose. I look forward to reading more of her books.

Overall, I found the take on vampires refreshing and different, and the plot and main characters slightly twisted and compelling. Definitely recommend.


Rating
I give this book 4 stars


Details
Genre: YA, Horror.
Language: About a medium amount of swearing. Use of the F-word.
Sex: No sex, there's no time for that! There are some steamy kisses though.
Violence: As I mentioned above, very graphic and bloody descriptions of vampire killings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil