Skip to main content

Redshirts

Redshirts by John Scalzi



Winner of the 2014 Hugo Award for Best Novel

Synopsis
Andy Dahl has just arrived the galactic ship Intrepid. But things aren't... quite normal. For one thing, people seem to die a lot, especially on away missions, and especially newer people who come on board. People act weird too, suddenly saying things or having knowledge and skills they never mentioned before, along with incredible technology that has no explanation. And it all seems to center around the Captain and four of his closest crew members, who manage to survive every away mission. So Dahl and his friends decide to do some investigating to figure out what's going on, and potentially save their own lives. What he discovers isn't at all what he was expecting.


Review
This is one of the more clever and humorous books I've read. It's great satire on the tropes and stereotypes of science fiction shows *cough*Star Trek*cough* (before anyone gets on my case, I was raised on Star Trek: The Next Generation. Have you watched some of the earlier seasons? My goodness, it was an awful show). "Redshirts" of course refers to the plethora of superfluous and expendable extras/characters on Star Trek, who were known to die off while the main characters lived.

The book takes place 400 years in our future, on the spaceship Intrepid, plus on various planets that they make excursions to. They encounter lots of crazy alien species, like ice sharks and sand worms, and also random cultures, religions, and traditions.

The characters were fun. Dahl is the main character, and with him you have his group of fellow Redshirts and crew members who are trying to figure out this mystery together. Plus, there's the captain and his close crew members, who always act erratically and give big speeches for dramatic effect and are never in any danger. The characters aren't super deep, but they're not meant to be.  They do have sarcastic, humorous dialogue and emotional and touching interactions.

One of the things I liked about this story was it was very self-aware, which was fun. The characters recognize things happening that made no sense, and try to figure out what was going on. It's very fast-paced, and the story builds quickly. What I loved was that I thought I had totally figured out where the book was going--and I was right, to an extent. I saw the main plot twist coming (the author doesn't hide it that much anyway). But then BAM! It happened way sooner than I expected and the story took a completely unexpected turn and just went really meta, while managing to carry on the action and the humor. I had set myself up for a pretty fun, easygoing story, and I got way more than I was expecting.

As always with comedy, there needs to be some meat beneath the laughter; moments where the humor pulls back and we get the dramatic heart of the story. This book delivers on both accounts. The character interactions with each other were great, the dialogue was quick and witty, and some very heartfelt moments came out of the story.

It was a fun, quick, laugh-out-loud read. If you're a fan of sci-fi, especially TV shows and movies, you'll enjoy this book.


Rating
I give this book 4 stars


Details
Genre: Science Fiction, Humor.
Sex: Characters talk about sex and sex acts openly and humorously; two characters are known to be sleeping together.
Violence: Characters die, often in gruesome, though funny and ridiculous, ways.
Language: Lots of heavy swearing, F-bombs are frequent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by BrenĂ© Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil