Skip to main content

Monthly Roundup: August 2018


And another month has come and gone! Sometimes I feel like I get the most reading done during my busiest months? I don't know how that works because it seems like a paradox, but maybe my mind just needs to chill more when I'm busier.

Anyway! In August I read ELEVEN books!

  1. Your Soul is a River - Nikita Gill (5 stars)
  2. Red Sister - Mark Lawrence (4.5 stars)
  3. Meet Cute - Various Authors (4 stars)
  4. The Rogue Not Taken - Sarah McLean (4 stars)
  5. Spinning Silver - Naomi Novik (5 stars)
  6. Wicked and the Wallflower - Sarah McLean (3 stars)
  7. Because You Love To Hate Me - Various Authors (2 stars)
  8. Alanna: The First Adventure - Tamora Pierce (4.5 stars) [reread]
  9. In The Hands of the Goddess - Tamora Pierce (4.5 stars) [reread]
  10. The Woman Who Rides Like A Man - Tamora Pierce (4.5 stars) [reread]
  11. Lioness Rampant - Tamora Pierce (4.5 stars) [reread]

So, first of all, I reread one of my FAVORITE series from when I was younger, The Song Of The Lioness quartet by Tamora Pierce. I have to say it held up really well, and I may have liked it even more reading it as an adult! I'll write a full review on here later, but I highly recommend this series, especially for younger readers!

I took a little foray into some romance novels by a popular author I heard about. The first one, Rogue, was so fun and cute! The second one I read, Wicked, wasn't as good, but was still an quick read.

There were two short story anthologies I read this month, Meet Cute, and Love to Hate. The first was SOOOOO cute and fluffy and adorable! All the stories were just really good. The second wasn't really what I was expecting, and I felt wasn't pulled off very well.

Two fantasy novels this month were Spinning Silver and Red Sister, both of which were just SO GOOD and I would highly recommend BOTH. The only reason I didn't give Red Sister five stars is because the middle slowed down a little for me, though the ending definitely picked up the pace. Be on the lookout for full reviews of both of those coming soon.

Finally I read a book of poetry by Nikita Gill, and those poems were just so poignant and deep. I loved them.


Overall, a pretty good month with books! September will see a reread of another Tamora Pierce series, plus a few highly anticipated books I've finally gotten from the library.

What did you read in August? What's on your list for September?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by BrenĂ© Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

I'm Back!

Hey everyone. I apologize for the long hiatus. Between wedding planning, traveling, and struggling with anxiety and depression, this blog was put on the shelf. But that hasn't stopped me from reading! I'm currently on Book 56 of the year, with 100 being my goal! I'm about 6 books behind schedule, but once the wedding is over I'll have even more free time to read. I've been reading some amazing books, and I'm eager to share my thoughts on them with you. I've also got a couple new features I'm going to start implementing. It'll be a little slow going at first as I get back into the swing of things, but I'm excited to get this blog back up and running. ~Ashley

Thursday Themes: So you liked The Hunger Games

So you really liked The Hunger Games and want some more of that sweet sweet dystoptian YA feeling. I'm guessing you've already read Divergent by Veronica Roth and Maze Runner by James Dashner (if not, were you even part of the YA dystopian craze??). Here are some other series I think you'll enjoy: Red Rising by Pierce Brown Basically Hunger Games in Space with super evolved humans. The main character is of the lowest caste (a Red) and fakes his way to the very top of society in order to take them down. ***Content Warning*** This book has a lot of violence (about the same as HG), and there is high use of profanity. Partials by Dan Wells One of the most underrated series in my humble opinion. 99% of the world's population has been wiped out by a weaponized virus during the war with the Partials—engineered organic super-humans—and no new babies are being born. Sixteen year old Kira is trying to find a solution. When a supply run ends with them capturing