Skip to main content

Hunted

Hunted by Meagan Spooner

Synopsis
When Yeva's father loses all his wealth, he moves her and her two older sisters out to their cabin in the woods. There, her father begins to obsessively hunt a mysterious creature that belongs in myths and fairy tales. When he disappears, Yeva knows she must find the Beast, and kill him. But as she's drawn into this strange, magical world, she discovers things aren't quite what they seem.


Review
A fantastic and dark Beauty and the Beast retelling, mixed with Russian folklore, where Beauty is actually hunting the Beast.

The story takes place was in medieval-ish Russia, though we're never told that outright, just through historical hints and the names of characters and the stories told. The woods and forest are the main setting, and they are beautiful and haunting in their icy winter glory, with magical creatures hidden just out of sight.

All the characters were so well done. Even minor characters were fleshed out just enough to make them stand out from the pages. Yeva is brave but kind. She is strong and capable, hunting to support her family, but she has her flaws that she works to overcome. She constantly feels torn between her love and duty to her family, and her longing for something greater. I enjoyed seeing the story unfold from her viewpoint. At one point she does act super naive, which had me rolling my eyes a little, but I guess it worked for plot purposes.

We get occasional glimpses into the Beast's point of view, but we mostly see his character through Yeva's eyes. He is also conflicted, torn between two warring sides within him, and is much more than he seems. Also, the reason behind his curse is much better than "he was a brat and ticked off a witch". The author even addresses the Stockholm Syndrome aspect (where the captured/abused defends their captor/abuser) that bugs so many people about this story, and works her way around it in the story

The relationship between Yeva and the Beast is the driving force behind this story, as they grow and develop with each other. They become partners, recognizing the similarities between their two situations, and from that a friendship and trust grows. The romance is actually a very small part of the story, only coming into play right at the end.

For the most part, this book is about want, that constant longing for something more. It's about finding happiness and being content with life, because neither Yeva nor the Beast are. Yeva constantly wants something new and different and thinks, "When I'm there, then I'll be happy", only to arrive "there" and still not be satisfied. It's a feeling I've had in my life, and I related instantly to her character and this theme of the book.

The writing was beautiful. Seriously such wonderful prose. And the plot was well-paced. It kept me interested even when things slowed down.

Oh, and the best thing? It's a stand alone novel, meaning you don't have to wait for a sequel! You get the whole story in one book!

Overall, a beautiful mix of bravery, love, and fairytale magic. Highly recommend.


Rating
I give this book 4 stars.


Details
Genre: YA, Fantasy.
Language: None.
Sex: None.
Violence: Very mild, mostly hunting scenes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi