Skip to main content

Defy The Stars

Defy The Stars - Claudia Gray

Synopsis (from Goodreads)
"She's a soldier. He's a machine. Noemi and Abel are enemies in an interstellar war, forced by chance to work together as they embark on a daring journey through the stars. Their efforts would end the fighting for good, but they’re not without sacrifice. The stakes are even higher than either of them first realized, and the more time they spend together, the more they’re forced to question everything they’d been taught was true."


Review
This was my first Claudia Gray book and now I have to go read everything she's ever written. But seriously, this was some great sci-fi fun. I loved every minute of this book!

The book is told from two viewpoints: Noemi and Abel. They start off as enemies, learn to trust each other, become friends, and fall in love. Both characters start off one way and through each other grow and become better and realize important things about themselves. This is what I love to see. The romance is a slow burn throughout the novel and it was amazing. I love seeing two people come to care for each other because of who they are, not just from insta-love.

Noemi was a bit shut off with her emotions, but with her backstory you can understand why. She is really kick-ass and courageous and has a big heart even though she keeps herself back. She opens up more as the story progresses.

Abel is great. He's a robot and I love that Gray has captured that in the way he thinks and talks. He is proud that he is the smartest, fastest mech ever built, and at times this borders on arrogant, where he enjoys sticking it to Noemi. I really loved his character arc and how he comes to know and accept himself. Along with that, I love the underlying discussion about what it means to be human and to have a soul. Even though Abel's body is at its core a machine, he has feelings, he can make his own choices. Does that mean he has a soul?

The secondary characters that join up with Noemi and Abel are fleshed out, not just talking heads there to fill a role. Both Abel and Noemi are able to find a place among others where they belong, even with people vastly different to them.

The book is set about 300 years in our future. Earth has spread to various planets connected by wormholes, called Gates. I loved that we got to stop and see each planet and its culture and the political climate on each planet. One thing I love about sci-fi is reading about the different tech that's in the universe: the ships, the medical advancements, the communications, etc. This book is just full of great space fun.

Gray's writing is wonderful and the plot is masterfully paced, moving from action to action with just enough breaks for soft moments between characters. There is a goal, a way to get there, and then the adventures and mishaps along the way, with a heart breaking ending that closes this story but leaves room for the sequel (and there is a sequel!).

I liked that there was no obvious right or wrong answer to the problems facing this galaxy. I liked that characters had different opinions and each one had plausible reasons. I always like a story that raises a discussion of right and wrong and the gray in between. Again, often it's not about who is right, but about seeing that people have different experiences that are valid.

Overall, an excellent space adventure with great action, incredible world-building, wonderful and compelling characters, and a cute romance. Highly recommend!


Rating
I give this book 5 stars.


Details
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi.
Language: Some mild language.
Sex: Sex and prostitution is discussed, in a humorous way, but nothing explicit and no actual sex scenes.
Violence: Some violence, but nothing graphic.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi