Skip to main content

Thursday Themes: Marriage

In honor of just having been recently married last Friday (!!! :D), here are five books that have to do with love and marriage:


1) Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen



I mean, you all had to know this would be on here. This book is ALL about marriage! I love Pride & Prejudice because it's about flawed people (both Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth) who realize their mistakes and work to become better people for each other and slowly build up their love and trust. Plus Mrs. Bennett's (and everyone's, really) obsession with marrying off all her daughters is fun and ridiculous to behold.



2) Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

This book has a ton of things going on in it, from the heavy themes of justice and mercy, to the plight of the lower classes, but mixed in among everything is a very sweet love story. The musical makes the love between Cosette and Marius seem very fast, but if you read the book, it happens over the course of a few months, and after all the craziness and death they find happiness in their marriage together. The parts that describe them falling in love are heart-wrenchingly beautiful, all the more so because it is surrounded by such tragedy. 



3) The Amelia Peabody Series - Elizabeth Peters

This is one of my favorite series, about a strong-willed Victorian-era woman named Amelia Peabody. In the first book she goes to Egypt for an adventure and meets Radcliffe Emerson, a handsome but gruff archaeologist who is excavating in Amarna. They solve a mystery, find some intriguing archaeological artifacts, and along the way they fall in love and get married. Their relationship throughout all the books is hilarious and full of love. 



4) The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion

This is not your normal love story. Don Tillman is a very pedantic scientist with some form of Asperger's and has decided that the best way to find a wife will be in the same manner as conducting a scientific experiment. So he makes up a (very long) questionnaire of desirable qualities for a wide and begins interviews (to no success). But then in walks Rosie, who is everything he didn't want, and yet it all fits so right. This book, told from inside the head of the main character, had me laughing out loud, and the love story is so sweet.



5) The Princess Bride - William Goldman



Well, it does advertise itself as the "greatest love story ever told". And it involves a bride (though techincally, she never does get married...). And, this story gives us the classic speech about "mawwiage". But even if you've seen the movie a thousand times, READ THE BOOK. It's 100x more hilarious than the movie and goes into a lot of background for the characters. And we all love the love between Wesley and Buttercup.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Arcanum Unbounded

Arcanum Unbounded - Brandon Sanderson Synopsis A collection of Sanderson's "short" stories and novellas set in his Cosmere universe. Review It's no secret that Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors. His writing is stupendous, his stories are incredible and his plot twists are mind-blowing. Rarely can I figure out exactly where the story is headed, but I am always exceptionally pleased when I get there! Sanderson isn't as known for his "short" stories. Probably because they aren't short. Two of them in this collection clock in around 40k words, which is approaching the line between a novella and a novel. A few of the stories ( The Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence ) can be read with no knowledge of his other books, and would perhaps be a good introduction to his writing. Those ones you can get individually or are published in other anthologies. I myself had already read a few of the stories, but withi

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil