Skip to main content

Monthly Roundup: May 2018



May was a CRAZY month. It was my birthday at the beginning of the month, and then we went on vacation at the end, with lots of work in between! I had so much going on, and yet I still read ten books!
  1. Sky in the Deep - Adrienne Young (5 stars)
  2. The Song of Achilles - Madeline Miller (3 stars)
  3. A Court of Frost and Starlight - Sarah J. Maas (3 stars)
  4. Down Among the Sticks and Bones - Seanan McGuire (4.5 stars)
  5. The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater (4 stars)
  6. Every Heart a Doorway - Seanan McGuire (4.5 stars) [reread]
  7. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - Gail Honeyman (4 stars)
  8. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - Taylor Jenkins Reid (4 stars)
  9. Nothing But Sky - Amy Trueblood (3 stars)
  10. Beyond a Darkened Shore - Jessica Leake (4 stars)
I finally seem to be getting out of my book slump! I really enjoyed most the books I read this month.

Most Anticipated was Sky in the Deep. What a beautiful story about love and redemption. The plot itself is simple, but the character arc was emotional and poignant and the writing was evocative and lush. Another Viking inspired book was Beyond a Darkened Shore, which I had received in my April FairyLoot box. It was a wonderful fantasy adventure, blending historical events with Celtic and Norse mythology.

I also read The Raven Boys, the first in a series that I've heard about for years and am finally getting around to! I also read a couple contemporaries that I've heard a lot about, Elinor Oliphant and Seven Husbands. Both were beautiful and gripping.

I'm currently reading The Queens of Innis Lear, and I have a huge TBR going into June!

What did you read in May? What is on your list for June?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Roundup - January 2017

In January I read 6 books, which is keeping with the pace I need in order to read 80 books this year. 1) The Reader - Traci Chee (3 stars) 2) Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken (3.5 stars) 3) Windwitch - Susan Dennard (3.5 stars) 4) The Underground Railroad  - Colson Whitehead (3 stars) 5) Behind the Throne  - K. B. Wagers (5 stars) 6) Queen of Shadows  - Sarah J. Maas (4 stars) I say that's a pretty good start to 2017! I recently started a new job, so posts have slowed while I rediscover the work/life balance, but overall I really enjoyed the books I read this month and would recommend them all (especially Behind the Throne !!! Gahh!!! Review coming soon!). My TBR pile for February is a mile long, but I'm especially excited for A Conjuring of Light,  the conclusion to the Shades of Magic  series by V. E. Schwab. I've also got the February Book Club pick, Daring Greatly  by Brené Brown, and I'll finally finish up Empire of Storms , the latest book in Sarah

Monthly Roundup: March 2017

Notice something different? I changed the layout of the blog! What do you think? There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out, like now the sidebar is only visible from the menu button at the top left side of the page, but I'll figure it out ;) This month I read seven books! I'm now actually four books ahead of my goal for the year. I thought that with working, etc., I wouldn't have as much time to read, but I've also learned that you have to make time to read, which I do every night. It wasn't a *great* month for books, in terms of quality. There were a few books I had high expectations for and they didn't quite meet them, though I still enjoyed them! If you need a refresher for what the various star ratings mean, then you can check out the "Ratings Guide" at the top of the blog. Reviews are coming soon! Beyond the Savanna - Maryann Martinsen (2.5 stars) Empress of a Thousand Skies - Rhoda Belleza (3 stars) Norse Gods - Neil

Thursday Themes: Five Books to Escape to a New World

Hello everyone! *waves* Remember how I said I was "back" and then didn't post anything for tover a year? Well now with this global pandemic I finally am returning to this blog. Lots of people are reading more than ever now, and I've had many people ask me to recommend various books. So I thought I'd do some posts more along those themes, and perhaps the occasional book review sprinkled in between. Today, the theme is inspired by traveling and exploring. I, like many of you, am tired of being stuck inside and unable to travel. One of the thing I love most about books is it's a way to escape and go on a new adventure. And I especially love books about finding a new world, ones that capture that awe and fascination and magical sense of a new place. It calls to that part deep within me that longs to see stunning vistas and meet new people and get to know a culture different from my own. Here are five books that capture that feeling, and will leave you aching t